Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Scared To Death

I wish someone in the know - a Supreme Court Justice, for example - would just tell me that this whole HHS mandate thing is a flash in the pan.  That it is unconstitutional and will never, ever be allowed to be put into practice.  I am scared to death.  If the mandate is allowed to stand, it's been made clear by the USCCB that they will have no choice but to close Catholic hospitals and Catholic schools and Catholic universities and Catholic charities rather than compromise on beliefs.  I am behind them 100%, but I also know if that happens, we will lose our jobs.  My husband teaches at a Catholic school.  My boss's wife is a nurse at a Catholic hospital.  Both are the main breadwinners in their families.  Without the financial support of his wife, the store where I work will have to close.  Without my husband's job, we will both be unemployed, uninsured and looking homelessness in the face.  My husband is a few years away from retirement, but not nearly close enough that we can make a go on his Social Security checks (and he's not old enough to get them anyway) and the little we have in IRAs.  If another school district were interested in a very good, very experienced teacher, they'd have to know that with his years of experience, he'd be at the top of the pay scale.  He's just too darn expensive to hire.  It's much cheaper to hire a new college grad at bargain basement prices.  We have 7 years to go before our house is paid for.  I am so afraid that we will lose the house we dreamed of and worked so hard to get, all on the brink of it being paid for.  As for me, I have a college degree that is outdated and very little experience. I may soon be asking you if you'd like a cart at the Wal-Mart doors or perhaps if you'd like fries with your sandwich.  The future looks very bleak and I am terrified.  Thanks so much, Mr. Obama.  Thanks for nothing. 

6 comments:

Renee said...

{{{Carrie}}}
I too worry about it but for different reasons. Abigail is heading off to college next Fall to study Nursing and that can't happen if she's forced to compromise her beliefs. sigh

Janette said...

I never really thought this through. Ow!
Just FYI- districts never pay top dollar. Most will only take 5 to 7 years of experience.
Looking forward to a new President.

Nancy said...

Carrie...all we can do is to put it in God's hands. My husband also works for the Catholic School system. Thankfully, our insurance is through my job...but there is a very real possibility that one of the schools he works for..would close. All of this is very unsettling and worrisome. I have to believe that God has it all under control.

RAnn said...

There are a couple of different issues here, as I understand it. Catholic hospitals are in a different boat than Catholic schools. In short, at least as I understand it, Catholic hospitals, in order to get Medicare/Medicaid money will have to offer full "reproductive health services". Since they can't make it financially without government money, they are either going to have to get out of the ER and ob/gyn business and family practice business (leaving them geriatrics, or other areas where bc won't come up). They will also, if they choose to provide health insurance for employees, have to provide birth control. If they don't choose to provide insurance, they'll have to pay a tax. Schools will be in the position of having to either provide bc or pay the tax charged employers who don't provide insurance. It's just kind of ironic that the bishops who backed "health care reform" are going to be put in the position of having to refuse to provide health insurance for their employees because of that law.

Carrie said...

My boss's wife has been told that the hospitals WILL close if this mandate is allowed to stand. Both Cardinal George of our Archdiocese and, infamously, our own Bishop Jenky have made their stance clear - ALL Catholic ministries outside of the actual church WILL be closed if this mandate is not rescinded. Unemployment looms.

RAnn said...

Well, since schools don't provide bc, and no employer, even under Obamacare is REQUIRED to provide insurance, I'd say they are bluffing.